The Susan Odell Taylor School for Children is a community that supports and enriches our students' lives. These principles represent the educational philosophy and foundation of the Susan Odell Taylor School:
- The development of a steadfast sense of self is paramount to each student’s educational experience. Through their experiences, children come to know and understand themselves in ways that are personal and unique. Each child is encouraged to develop a sense of trust, competence and initiative. Positive self-esteem and self-confidence will be nurtured within each student.
- How children learn is as important as what they learn. The process of learning holds as much value as the specific academic content. It is through a thoughtful learning process that children develop strategies and skills to apply to understanding new concepts and ideas and gaining new knowledge.
- Knowing the students we teach individually, culturally and developmentally is as important as knowing the content we teach. We strive to understand each child as an individual, recognizing that all children have personal strengths, challenges, and circumstances that affect who they are and how they learn. The better we know the children, the more we can do to support them in their daily lives.
- Each student will have the opportunity to reach her/his highest potential within a safe and nurturing environment. Each child will be guided socially, emotionally and academically toward greater accomplishments. The Taylor School environment will allow each child to feel secure and supported as they take the risks necessary for the development of new understandings about themselves and the world.
- The learning environment will be experiential, fostering curiosity and creativity, while instilling a love of learning. Each student will be actively engaged in their learning, with an emphasis on hands-on experiences, stimulating situations and collaborative learning. Learning will be purposeful, exciting, enjoyable and satisfying.
- The Taylor School curriculum works on deeper understandings of subject areas rather than attempting to cover a large amount of content in a superficial manner. Emphasis is placed on academic rigor within the friendly atmosphere of a caring community of learners. Our emphasis is on fostering each student’s creativity and curiosity, while enabling them to become highly literate students with strong mathematical, scientific and social understandings. A creative and strong academic program will provide each student the ability to pursue any future course of study.
- Parental and community interaction is an integral part of the Taylor School’s success. The school values parents and the community and recognizes that cultivating partnerships with each will enrich our students’ lives. We welcome parents and community members into our school environment and work to be an active part of the community at large. Because learning can and should occur beyond the academic walls, children benefit from their experiences outside of the school environment.